Made possible by
 

Log in

Log in

Richmondtown

IMG 2112Third County Courthouse

The area that is now Historic Richmond Town's main site served for nearly two centuries as the government center of Staten Island (Richmond County). After Staten Island became one of the five boroughs of New York City in 1898, the county offices were gradually moved to the northern part of Staten Island, closer to Manhattan, and Richmond Town became a quiet community as government offices, and the many businesses that served them, left the neighborhood.

In the 1930s, the Staten Island Historical Society saw a historic preservation opportunity in the buildings that had been vacated, and in 1933 the Society obtained permission to renovate the former County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office for use as a museum. The museum opened in 1935, and in the following years the Society acquired several other nearby historic buildings. In 1948 the Society was granted use of the Third County Courthouse (which today serves as the Visitor Center). In the early 1950s, the City of New York acquired the 100-acre Richmond Town site, which was designated Richmondtown Restoration and set aside for preservation. Today this site, with 30 historic structures, serves as the largest of the four sites that make up Historic Richmond Town.

 

Map of Richmondtown

The map below is interactive. Rest your mouse over each structure for info to pop up.  Below the map is a list of corresponding structures with more detailed information. Rest your mouse on any structure in the list and info will appear on the right. Click on the list item and it will take you to more detailed info.

Richmondtown site map - site bkgrd color

Structures

1 • Third County Courthouse

1 • Third County Courthouse;

The Third County Courthouse is located on Center Street at the head of Court Place. It was built in 1837 on this site, replacing earlier courthouse buildings that had been located on other sites nearby. Standing on one of the highest points in Richmond, this imposing Greek Revival building was designed to both reflect and inspire civic power and pride. The front (north) wall of the structure is built of rough-faced Staten Island trap rock; the other walls are brick. The architectural form is a center block with a pedimented portico and flanking wings. The portico is supported by four massive Doric columns. It is not known who designed or built the courthouse but it has been suggested that elements such as the cupola (bell tower) may…

Detail

2 • Historical Museum (Former County Clerk’s and Surrogate’s Office)

2 • Historical Museum (Former County Clerk’s and Surrogate’s Office);

The Historical Museum is the former County Clerk's and Surrogate's office for Richmond County. It is a large brick structure in its original location on Center Street at the corner of Court Place. Its architecture features decorative bracketed eaves of the Italianate style. It was at one time stuccoed and incised in imitation of brownstone blocks, a finish which was removed in the 1930s.  It was originally constructed in 1848 as a one-story building to house the County Clerk's and Surrogate's offices, which were previously located across the street in the Third County Courthouse. The building also housed the offices of the County Board of Supervisors and the District Attorney. Within 10 years, the offices had outgrown the building, and it was reported that the…

Detail

3 • Edwards-Barton House

3 • Edwards-Barton House;

The Edwards-Barton House remains on its original site on Richmond Road at the corner of Court Place, where it was constructed in 1869. The house was built for Webley J. Edwards (1816-1870) and his wife Deborah (Mercereau) Edwards (1823-1888). Before this house was constructed, Edwards owned and resided in a building on the adjoining property which is now known as the Guyon Store or Tavern. Edwards was a tailor, and by 1850 he was a moderately prosperous man. By 1854 he had become County Treasurer, and later became a Justice of the Peace, while continuing in his occupation as a tailor. In the 1860 census he was listed as a "Gentleman." He was also a vestryman at St. Andrew's Church. Since Edwards passed away in…

Detail

4 • Barger Privy

4 • Barger Privy;

This privy (outhouse) now stands in the yard behind the Edwards-Barton House on Richmond Road. It originally stood on the property of the Jacob Crocheron House at its original location in Woodrow. At 12 feet wide, it is unusually large for such a utilitarian structure. The interior had six seats in two rows, reconstructed based on remnants of grooves found in the original walls.  It was probably constructed about 1870 by Henry Barger, who at that time owned the former Crocheron farm. The structure was discovered in 1987 during the process of moving the Crocheron House to Historic Richmond Town. The privy had been converted into a chicken coop. The privy was disassembled and taken to Boston where it was restored by students at the…

Detail

5 • Guyon Store (Tavern)

5 • Guyon Store (Tavern);

The Guyon Store is on its original site, on the south side of Richmond Road between Arthur Kill Road and Court Place. It was probably built ca. 1819 or 1820.  It is a simple two-story clapboard building with a one-story lean-to on the rear and a west wing which was added ca. 1835. James Guyon Jr., an entrepreneur and a descendent of a prominent south shore family, acquired the property in 1819 and probably constructed the building shortly thereafter. A veteran of the War of 1812, Guyon was the proprietor of the Nautilus Inn at Tompkinsville Landing. He was associated with Daniel D. Tompkins in local Republican party politics and in the development of Tompkinsville. Around 1834 Guyon sold the store to John S. Edwards,…

Detail

6 • Barn Foundation;

This structure is a coursed stone foundation for a barn. It was built by the staff at Historic Richmond Town in the area bounded by Center Street, Arthur Kill Road, and Richmond Road. It is appropriate for an early 19th-century English-style barn. The foundation was constructed using stones from a barn on the Eith farm, which was located on Richmond Avenue in New Springville. It was intended to support a barn to be reconstructed using historic timbers of a 19th-century barn from another site, a farm owned by Henry and Mary Elizabeth Crocheron in what is today's Travis. However, the historic timbers were too deteriorated to allow for reassembly, and the barn was not completed.

Detail

7 • Site of Town Pond;

The Town Pond was once located south of Richmond Road just east of Arthur Kill Road. Its existence is documented in the early 18th century, when Richmond was established as the county seat. The pond was likely drained and filled with soil around the 1820s, allowing construction of the Richmond County Hall which was completed ca. 1829. Richmond County Hall was demolished in 1890. A parish house for St. Andrew's Church stood on the site from about 1891 to 1929. In the 1960s this area was the focus of an archaeological investigation; artifacts found there are now in the collections at Historic Richmond Town. 

Detail

8 • Site of First County Jail;

The establishment of a Richmond County jail was provided for by an Act of Assembly in 1704. This site was selected and construction was undertaken in 1710, with orders that the building be built of stone, two stories high, measuring 14 by 12 feet. Within a dozen years, County Sheriffs began to complain that the jail structure was insufficient, and a replacement was constructed by 1741. 

Detail

9 • Site of Reformed Dutch Church;

In 1769, the Reformed Dutch Church built an edifice on what is now the corner of Center Street and Arthur Kill Road (not far from the Voorlezer's House which had been its meeting house in the previous century). This church was initially formed with support from the Reformed Dutch Church in Port Richmond as well as an informal alliance with local Presbyterian congregants. The building was destroyed by the British in 1776, and in 1808 a new church was built on the site. The second church structure was designed to be 43 x 33 feet in size, with a steeple 100 feet high extending two feet beyond the main building. It was enlarged to a size of 68 x 33 feet by 1858. It became known…

Detail

10 • Parsonage;

The Parsonage is located on its original site on Arthur Kill Road at the corner of Clarke Avenue. It was built in 1855 as home for the pastor of the Dutch Reformed Church (now demolished) that once stood nearby.The Parsonage is an example of Carpenter Gothic style, a form of Gothic Revival architecture. The Parsonage has the characteristic exterior woodwork of the style (sometimes called gingerbread), as well as many original interior features. The building has two stories and a one-story porch on its front and two sides.In 1769, the Reformed Dutch Church built an edifice on what is now the corner of Center Street and Arthur Kill Road (not far from the Voorlezer's House which had been its meeting house in the previous century).…

Detail

11 • Annadale Railroad Station

11 • Annadale Railroad Station;

The Annadale Railroad Station is now located north of Clarke Avenue and east of Arthur Kill Road. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1975 from a location on Annadale Road in Annadale. The building has an unusual history. One section of the building was constructed ca. 1850 and was most likely used as a shop or store; no other information is currently known about the original ownership, use, or location of that earliest portion. The later section of the structure was built ca. 1860 as the Annadale train station. Staten Island's first successful railroad formally opened in June 1860, running from Clifton to Tottenville. The Annadale station, probably built when the railroad first opened, was located on the railroad bed just east of…

Detail

12 • New Dorp Railroad Station

12 • New Dorp Railroad Station;

This railroad station, which once served the neighborhood of New Dorp, now stands on the south side of Center Street near Tysen Court. Its original location was near Rose Avenue and 6th Street (now New Dorp Plaza). It was built in 1889 and moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965. It is a 1 ½ story structure with a single rectangular room. The roof once had large eaves creating a porch around the building which served as the waiting platform; these features were removed for the process of relocating the structure and have not yet been restored. The architecture shows elements of the Queen Anne style and the stick style. Picturesque details include applied wood boards and brackets, double doors, and windows with sash holding multicolored…

Detail

13 • Diner (film set);

This structure was constructed for location filming of the television series Boardwalk Empire. It represents a 1920s American diner in the fictional town of Tabor Heights, New Jersey. This set was utilized for episodes which originally aired during the show’s third season, in the fall of 2012.

Detail

14 • Rezeau-Van Pelt Cemetery

14 • Rezeau-Van Pelt Cemetery;

The Rezeau-Van Pelt Cemetery is located near the intersection of Tysen Court and Center Street, just west of the Third County Courthouse, on the original site where it was established in the 1780s (decades before the courthouse was built). It is a small homestead graveyard, the type of family burial plot that was once commonly found on private property. It has ten small headstones and one larger monument with a molded arched pediment. The iron fence around the cemetery replicates an original fence built ca. 1850. It features decorative ironwork with sculptural details. A gate on the south side has a large angel's head with radiating beams of light, as well as tassels and a plaque naming "C.R. Van Pelt." The fence's crossbars are marked…

Detail

15 • Lawn Area;

The lawn between P.S. 28 and the Third County Courthouse is now used for visitor picnicking and outdoor concerts at Historic Richmond Town. But in earlier years, a house stood here, at 284 Center Street. The house was erected in 1837 as part of Henry I. Seaman’s development of the village, and a barn was constructed on the property by 1845. The owners of the house included members of the Hall, Marsh, Lytle, Cole, Siemer, and Flake families. A photo of the site, taken between 1900 and 1910, shows a large grape arbor in the backyard behind the house. In 1959 the house was sold to St. Andrew’s Church and moved to an area behind the church to be used as a parsonage. It still stands…

Detail

16 • Public School 28

16 • Public School 28;

Public School 28 was built in 1907-1908. It still stands on its original site on Center Street at the corner of St. Patrick's Place. It is a large one-story brick building with front and rear wings and two later additions at the rear. Its hip roof is topped by an octagonal cupola. It has an attic and a high basement that serves as a ground floor. Two front entrances at either side of the building were presumably used for boys and girls. Interior details such as bulletin boards, chalkboards, antique inscribed doorknobs, and built-in shelving from its time as a school remain in place today. Public School 28 was one of several new schools built in the years following the 1898 consolidation of Greater New…

Detail

17 • St. Patrick's Church;

St. Patrick’s Church is the home of a Roman Catholic parish founded in 1862. It was the fifth Catholic church established on Staten Island, built at a time when many new immigrants, especially increasing numbers of Irish and German Catholic people, were settling in areas in and around Richmond. The first pastor of St. Patrick’s Church was Father John Barry, who was born in Ireland and ordained in the United States. Father Barry was appointed to St. Joseph’s Church in Rossville in 1859 and visited Richmond regularly, saying mass in a small building on Center Street until the new church building was ready for occupancy. (A previous Staten Island pastor, Father James Roosevelt Bayley, had also served the Catholic community at Richmond on a less-frequent…

Detail

18 • Stephens-Prier House

18 • Stephens-Prier House;

The Stephens-Prier House stands on its original site between Richmond Road and Center Street at the corner of St. Patrick's Place. It is a two and one-half story wood frame house built ca. 1857-1859. It is symmetrically designed, incorporating classical pediments on all four sides with identical facades on Center Street and Richmond Road. The architecture shows features of both Greek Revival and Italianate styles. The house was built for Daniel Lake Stephens (1810-1866). Stephens was born in Manhattan, moved with his family to Brooklyn in the 1820s, and in 1854 he and his sister Ann Eliza moved to Staten Island to live with their cousin Stephen D. Stephens in his home in Richmond (the Stephens-Black House). In 1857, Daniel purchased a lot extending from…

Detail

19 • Storage;

Designed to resemble a late-1800s carriage house, this building houses architectural elements and museum maintenance equipment.

Detail

20 • Transportation Museum;

Designed to resemble a late-1800s carriage house, this building was used as exhibition space and as a gift shop before 1980s renovations of the Visitors Center and Historical Museum. The structure now provides storage of large-scale materials.

Detail

21 • Gas Station (film set);

This structure was constructed for location filming of the television series Boardwalk Empire. It represents a 1920s American gas station in the fictional town of Tabor Heights, New Jersey. This set was utilized for episodes which originally aired during the show’s third season, in the fall of 2012.

Detail

22 • Seaman Cottage

22 • Seaman Cottage;

This house was built ca. 1836-1837 by developer Henry I. Seaman. It was originally on the south side of Center Street between St. Patrick's Place and Moore Street. It is now situated on the north side of Center Street between Court Place and St. Patrick's Place. It is a good example of a modest Greek Revival building. The term "cottage" was used in the 19th century to describe a small, modern, up-to-date house that was suitable for middle-class occupants. It is a small two and one-half story gable roof structure resting on a newly constructed masonry basement and has a one story wood porch extending across its front. Henry I. Seaman (1805-1861) was a New York City businessman who was a descendant of the prominent…

Detail

23 • Colon Store (Tinsmith Shop)

23 • Colon Store (Tinsmith Shop);

The Colon Store, also known as the Tinsmith’s Shop, is on the north side of Center Street between St. Patrick’s Place and Court Place. Built ca. 1840-1850, the store originally stood on Woodrow Road in Woodrow. Around 1913 it was relocated to Bloomingdale Road in Pleasant Plains. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1969. The Colon Store is a two-story wood frame building with clapboard siding and a small front porch. Its unusual trapezoidal plan reflects the shape of its original building lot. This is a very simple rural structure built for commercial purposes. It has Greek Revival molding around the bottom panels of the front doors. Its exact date of construction is not known, but the store appears in its location on Woodrow…

Detail

24 • Stephens-Black House

24 • Stephens-Black House;

The Stephens-Black House stands in its original location on Center Street at the corner of Court Place, with the General Store adjoining the rear of the house and extending along Court Place. The house was erected ca. 1837, with an extension added to the east ca. 1838 and the store built at the rear about a year later. An example of Greek Revival domestic architecture, it is related in style to the nearby Bennett House; the Third County Courthouse, just across Center Street, shows the classic form of Greek Revival public architecture.  The house was built for Stephen Dover Stephens (1808-1883), a merchant, and his wife Elizabeth Johnson Stephens (1811-1883). The family resided in Northfield, Staten Island, before building their house in Richmond. In 1837 they…

Detail

25 • General Store

25 • General Store;

The General Store, located at its original site on Court Place, is attached to the rear of the Stephens-Black House. It is a rectangular structure of one story with an attic. It was constructed in stages beginning ca. 1840, but most of the structure was demolished in the 1940s. It was restored and reconstructed by Historic Richmond Town in 1964. The store was built as part of the Stephens-Black House, the home of merchant Stephen Dover Stephens (1808-1883), his wife Elizabeth Johnson Stephens (1811-1883), and their five children. The main part of the house was built ca. 1838, and the first section of the store wing was added to the rear of the house ca. 1840. The store was subsequently expanded three more times prior…

Detail

26 • Eltingville Store (Print Shop)

26 • Eltingville Store (Print Shop);

The Eltingville Store, once located on Amboy Road in Eltingville, is now presented as the Print Shop in its location on Court Place at Historic Richmond Town. It is a small one-room, one-story wood frame building with board-and-batten siding and a wood shingle roof. It is thought that the Eltingville Store was built ca. 1860, but the original location and owner are not documented. It was located on Amboy Road in Eltingville by at least 1910, when it appeared in the Sanborn Atlas. It was enlarged and converted to a residence by Mr. and Mrs. Eusebia Johnson, who resided there from 1920 to 1930. The building may at one time have served as a grocery store, as the word "Groceries," very faded, was painted on…

Detail

27 • Carpenter's Shop

27 • Carpenter's Shop;

The Carpenter's Shop on the east side of Court Place is a reconstruction built primarily with historic building materials. The framing for the building is from the ca. 1830 kitchen wing of the Samuel Decker house. Since the wing did not have an end wall where it had originally joined the main house, new posts made of old timbers were added, and it was sided with shingles from the ca. 1790 Eith house on Richmond Avenue. A variety of other historic and new materials were used to complete the reconstruction; the historic materials were salvaged from old Staten Island buildings that had been demolished. The idea for creating a carpenter's shop came into being in the 1960s. The original Samuel Decker house was vacant and…

Detail

28 • Bennett House

28 • Bennett House;

The Bennett House is located on its original site, on Court Place at the corner of Richmond Road. The main structure was erected ca. 1839, and an addition to the rear of the house was built ca. 1854. It is a clapboarded residence with a high four-columned porch and an above-grade basement with a large brick oven extending from the southern side of the building. Austin Burk (or Burke), a miller and baker, purchased the lot from developer Henry I. Seaman in the 1830s for the construction of the house. Seaman was a prominent Staten Islander who in 1836 began to enlarge and develop the village of Richmond. Seaman acquired a large parcel of land between Richmond Road and Clarke Avenue, subdivided the land into lots,…

Detail

29 • Journeay Privy

29 • Journeay Privy;

This privy (outhouse) was built about 1865. It presently stands on the brick foundation of the original Stephens-Black House privy, behind the house and store at the corner of Center Street and Court Place. It is a small wood frame structure with a window on one side and two seats. It was moved to this site in 1970 from the property of the Journeay House on Amboy Road in Richmond Valley.

Detail

30 • Schwiebert House

30 • Schwiebert House;

The Schwiebert house is located on the south side of Richmond Road between Court Place and St. Patrick's Place, which is its original site. It is a large two-story brick house with attic and partially-exposed stone basement. It has a one-story, four-columned front porch supported by stone piers, and a straight gable roof with the gable facing the street. The Schwiebert House is a local expression of the Colonial Revival style, executed in brick, with classical porch columns topped with Ionic capitals. The Schwiebert House was built 1909-1910 as the home of John Frederick Schwiebert, his wife Anna Schwiebert, and their children. John F. Schwiebert (1861- 1944) came to America from Germany in 1881, and worked as a foreman in the Marsh and Nolan Carriage…

Detail

31 • Site of Carriage and Wagon Manufactory;

A carriage and wagon manufactory formerly stood on Richmond Road between Arthur Kill Road and St. Patrick’s Place. Currently, a foundation and partial walls stand on the site, built of fieldstone and brick. These are the result of 1970s construction upon the remains of an early fieldstone foundation wall. The original structure was a plain, utilitarian three-story brick building with a stone ground floor foundation. Isaac Marsh came to Staten Island from New Jersey with his wife Catherine in the early 1840s. By 1847 the young family was living in Richmond and Marsh had established a carriage manufactory on Richmond Hill Road north of Richmond Creek, advertising that he offered “carriages of all kinds built to order from the best materials, and my experienced workmen.”…

Detail

32 • Crocheron House

32 • Crocheron House;

The Crocheron House is now located on Richmond Road near the foot of St. Patrick's Place.  It was originally located at 84 Woodrow Road in Greenridge. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1987. The house is a wood frame structure built ca. 1819-1820. It is a large one and one-half story gambrel-roofed farmhouse with dormers and full-width porches front and back. The roof has spring eaves over the porches, supported by wood columns. It is sided with flush boards on front and rear and hand-cut cedar shingles on the side elevations. Each side features two tall brick chimneys. The fieldstone basement has two identical kitchens with cooking fireplaces and beehive ovens. The house was built for Jacob Crocheron (1758-1827), a successful merchant in Manhattan.…

Detail

33 • Guyon-Lake-Tysen House

33 • Guyon-Lake-Tysen House;

The Guyon-Lake-Tysen House is now located on the north side of Richmond Road between Court Place and St. Patrick's Place. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1962 from its original location in Oakwood, on Tysen's Lane between Mill Road and Hylan Boulevard.  The Guyon-Lake-Tysen House is unusually large by 18th-century Staten Island standards and represents a substantial, prosperous way of life. It was constructed as a farmhouse and was used as such for most of its history. It was situated in an area of large, fertile farm plots of substantial acreage. The house is one of few 18th-century gambrel-roof houses surviving on Staten Island today. This once-common form combines Dutch and Franco-Flemish features in a style that was later dubbed "Dutch Colonial." It is exceptional…

Detail

34 • Basket Maker's House

34 • Basket Maker's House;

This house was built ca. 1810.  It is a simple, one and one-half story wood frame building with a rubble stone basement.  Its original location was on Richmond Avenue in New Springville.  It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965.  The architecture is vernacular in style, with Dutch and Flemish influences.  James S. Decker was the earliest known owner of the property. From 1839 to 1857, the house was owned by John DuPuy (1812-1849) and his wife Susan Ann (1817-1892), who lived there with their 3 children and a nephew. Its location near a creek leading to the Fresh Kills was important, since DuPuy was primarily a waterman (a boatman who fishes and also makes his boat available for hire), owning two fishing skiffs (rowboats)…

Detail

35 • Britton Cottage

35 • Britton Cottage;

The Britton Cottage is now located on the north side of Richmond Road at the foot of Court Place. It originally stood at the foot of present-day New Dorp Lane, near Cedar Grove Avenue, in New Dorp Beach. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1967. The Britton Cottage is a one and one-half story fieldstone and wood frame farmhouse. The center section of the house dates to ca. 1670. Two additions were built ca. 1760, and a lean-to was added prior to 1840. The land where the house originally stood, the “Governor’s Lot” of approximate 96 acres, was granted by patent to Obadiah Holmes in 1677. The actual construction date of the Britton Cottage is not known, but is believed to have been ca.…

Detail

36 • Kruser-Finley House

36 • Kruser-Finley House;

The Kruser-Finley House is set back from the north side of Richmond Road, east of the intersection with Richmond Hill Road. It was originally located in nearby Egbertville, on the south side of Richmond Road (once known as Black Horse Road), east of Hitchcock Avenue. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965. The Kruser-Finley House is a 1 ½ story clapboard residence with a fieldstone foundation and an unfinished basement. It is composed of two sections; the newer, eastern section is lower in height and is sided with shingles. It was built ca. 1790, with additions ca. 1820 and ca. 1840-1890. Although the original occupants of this structure have not been identified, they probably worked a small tenant farm. The house was located…

Detail

37 • Dunn's Mill

37 • Dunn's Mill;

Dunn's Mill is a reconstruction of a water-powered sawmill of the early 1800s. Its location on Richmond Creek, east of Richmond Hill Road and north of Richmond Road, is the approximate location of an earlier grist mill established by John Dunn. Dunn's Mill was one of eleven mills that operated on Staten Island during the 1700s and 1800s. It was situated by the Richmond Creek, across the road from St. Andrew's Church. John Dunn purchased the land in 1795, and began operating his gristmill ca. 1800. The mill used power from the flow of water along Richmond Creek for the work of grinding grain. The creek was dammed up to form a millpond and the water was channeled through a mill race to turn a…

Detail

38 • Site of Government Buildings;

Buildings were constructed on this site between ca. 1729 and ca. 1828 to serve a variety of county functions. A reconstructed wood frame marks the location today, at the intersection of Richmond Road, Arthur Kill Road, and Richmond Hill Road. The First County Courthouse was built ca. 1728-1729 on land purchased from William Tillyer on the site which is now in the bed of Arthur Kill Road at the corner of Richmond Road. Records of the Court of Sessions and Common Pleas document that court convened “at the Courthouse at Richmondtown” September 2, 1729. This First County Courthouse was burned by the British ca. 1776 during the Revolutionary War. The Second County Jail was built to the east of the Courthouse ca. 1741, replacing the…

Detail

39 • Town Bridge

39 • Town Bridge;

The stone arch Town Bridge passes over Richmond Creek, connecting Arthur Kill Road and Richmond Hill Road. The current structure, composed of dressed fieldstone, was erected in 1845 and is the only remaining 19th-century stone arch bridge on Staten Island. It connects two of the oldest roads on Staten Island. In fact, the roadway that became Richmond Hill Road was designated an official county road in 1701. It is not known when the first bridge was actually built at this location, but the first mention of a bridge appears as early as 1718: "Ordered that the west and north divisions of the county do make a suffct [sufficient] bridge over the brook at Cuckold Town nigh the English Church forthwith." By the mid-18th century it was…

Detail

40 • Meeting Hall for St. Andrew's Church;

Hemsley Hall is located at 980 Richmond Hill Road. It is used by the Church of St. Andrew and is also available as space for community functions.

Detail

41 • Church of St. Andrew;

Anglicans established the Church of St. Andrew at the head of the Fresh Kills in the early 18th century. A graveyard and church were begun by 1709 and the stone church building completed in 1712, adding a major institutional presence to the growing hamlet of Richmond. The church was granted its charter by Queen Anne in 1713. In 1770 the original church building was enlarged and a tall, elegant steeple was added. The steeple followed a design published by the English architect James Gibbs. With its location on a hill adding to the effect of the tall steeple, the church became an important monument that was visible from miles away. During the American Revolution, the church was a center of military activity. Rev. Richard Charlton,…

Detail

42 • Treasure House

42 • Treasure House;

The Treasure House stands on its original site on Arthur Kill Road at the foot of Richmond Road, across Richmond Creek from the Church of St. Andrew. The house is an example of early American architecture that arose from European traditions transplanted to the New World. It is a two story structure with a first story built of stone and a second story built of wood with clapboard. A platform porch and staircase which once led to the main entry door on the second floor were removed by Historic Richmond Town after repeated vehicular accident damage. The Treasure House takes its name from the tradition that a cache of gold coins was found hidden in the walls about 1860. The coins were said to have…

Detail

43 • Second County Courthouse Foundation;

The foundation is all that remains of the Second County Courthouse, a wood frame structure that was built in 1793-1794 on the west side of Arthur Kill Road. It is visible today as a rubble stone foundation between the Boehm House and the Treasure House. The two-story courthouse building had two rooms on the first floor, the larger of which served as a public hall, and the courtroom occupied the entire second floor. The building served its public function until the Third County Courthouse was completed in 1837. It was then sold at auction to Walter Betts, who moved the building back from the road, enlarged it, and made it into his private residence. In 1861, the house was sold to Isaac M. Marsh, owner…

Detail

44 • Christopher House

44 • Christopher House;

The Christopher House is set back from the west side of Arthur Kill Road near Richmond Creek. Its original location was at 819 Willowbrook Road in Willowbrook.  It is a one and one-half story stone farmhouse in a simple vernacular style with Dutch influences such as a spring eave and jambless fireplaces.  It was constructed in two sections, ca. 1720 and ca. 1730, each having one room with a cellar below and a garret above. The Christopher House's primary claim to fame is that it was reputedly the meeting place for the local Committee of Safety during the American Revolution. The house was built by the Christopher family, a family of northern European and English heritage who had been in the new world for several…

Detail

45 • Boehm House

45 • Boehm House;

The Boehm House is typical of Staten Island farmhouses of the 18th and 19th centuries. It shows Dutch influence in the older portion of the house. It was originally located in Greenridge, on the west side of Arthur Kill Road near the intersection with Giffords Lane. Moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965, it is now on the west side of Arthur Kill Road between Richmond Road and Center Street. Based on its architectural fabric, the house is thought to have been constructed ca. 1750, but the original owner / occupant of the house is not known. The first recorded occupant was Cornelius Poillon, who mortgaged the property in 1814. Three other property owners are recorded between 1819 and 1855, when educator Henry Martin Boehm…

Detail

46 • Voorlezer's House

46 • Voorlezer's House;

The Voorlezer's House is located on the west side of Arthur Kill Road. Constructed ca. 1695, it is an example of Dutch-influenced vernacular architecture, but is atypical and an unusually large structure for its early period. Archaeological findings, reported in 1985, produced artifacts dating as early as 1740.  The building remains near its original site, but in 1939 it was moved back about 15 feet from its original foundation as a safety precaution (to be further from the roadway). Built by the Dutch Reformed congregation as a religious facility, it also contained the residence of the congregation's Voorlezer, Hendrick Kroesen, and his family from ca. 1695 until 1701. The Voorlezer's typical function within the church involved reading the Bible aloud, keeping church records, performing rites…

Detail

facebook twitter   vimeo    linkedin   pinterest    instagram


call    718 • 351 • 1611

Historic Richmond Town
441 Clarke Avenue

Staten Island, NY • 10306


northfield-GRAYGOLDMINE-GRAY

Upcoming Events

  • NYC Chili Cookoff
    Sat - Apr 26, 2014 12:00PM
    An internationally recognized ICS family event that includes chili sampling, judging, cash prizes, amusements, and live entertainment. Yum!
  • Yankee Peddler Day
    Sat - May 3, 2014 10:00PM
    Ladies and gents come on down and explore real bargains.
  • UNCORKED
    Sat - Jun 7, 2014 12:00PM
    NYC'S premier outdoor spring fine food and fun event!
  • Father's Day Focus Tour
    Sun - Jun 15, 2014 1:00PM
    What did dad's workshop look like in the past?
  • Independence Day Celebration
    Fri - Jul 4, 2014 11:00AM
    It's an old-fashioned, patriotic celebration of the classic American holiday. Get your hand-churned ice cream and a pie-full of traditional fun!
  • All American Drive-In • First Night
    Mon - Aug 11, 2014 7:00PM
    First of six nights of retro blockbuster films on a huge screen. Park and immerse yourself in cinematic nostalgia.
  • All American Drive-In • Second Night
    Tue - Aug 12, 2014 7:00PM
    Second of six nights of retro blockbuster films on a huge screen. Park and immerse yourself in cinematic nostalgia.

Follow Us on Twitter

HRTown
HRTown
Burning hot off the press....silive.com/cooking/index.…

8 hours ago via web •

 

Share the Stories!

Third County Courthouse Rendered Painted columns

Your support helps us tell the stories of ordinary people working together to build an extraordinary country.  Let's share these stories together. Go ahead, click and donate!

Donate!