Main Site - The Village at Historic Richmond Town
(1) 3rd County Courthouse 1837
Preceded by two smaller courthouses, this Greek Revival structure was Staten Island's first monumental county building. It served as the Richmond County Courthouse until 1919, when court functions moved to St. George.
(2) Voorlezer's House c.1695
This structure was built by the Dutch Reformed Congregation and served as a church, school, and residence for the Voorlezer (lay minister and teacher) until 1701. It was used as a private home and store until 1936. This building is a National Historic Landmark.
(3) Boehm House, c.1750; Addition c.1840
The building is named for prominent educator Henry Boehm, who lived in the house from c.1850-1862. An exhibit on early building techniques and restoration is currently on display in the house. Relocated from Greenridge.
(4) Christopher House c.1720; addition c.1730
This fieldstone farmhouse was the home of Joseph Christopher, a member of the Richmond County Committee of Safety prior to and during the Revolution. Relocated from Willowbrook.
(5) Treasure House c.1700; additions c.1740, 1790, 1860
The earliest sections of this house were built by Samuel Grasset, a tanner and leather worker. Later owners of the building included a cord wainer (shoemaker) inn-keeper, stonemason, and coach trimmer, as well as a number of local businesses. The house was named after a tradition that a cache of revolutionary era gold coins was discovered during renovation c.1860.
(6) Town Bridge, 1845
This is Staten Island's only surviving example of an early stone arch bridge. It replaced an earlier wooden bridge over Richmond Creek on the major route from the north shore to Richmondtown and points south.
(7) Guyon Store/Tavern c.1819; addition c.1835
The main portion of this building was originally used for commercial purposes by James Guyon, Jr. After 1835, the building served as a private residence. It is furnished to represent an early 1800s tavern.
(8) Edwards-Barton House 1869
This house was built in a combination of simplified Gothic Revival and Italianate styles. Its stylishness and size express the business achievements of Webley Edwards, a tailor, who by 1860 was listed in the census as a "Gentleman." It later served as home to Edwards' daughter Ella and her husband Willis Barton, a Wall Street stock-broker.
(9) Outhouse c.1865
Unusual for such a utilitarian building, this outhouse once had two rooms and six seats in two rows. Its architectural style and age match those of the Edwards-Barton House. Relocated from the Jacob Crocheron House property in Greenridge.
(10) Britton Cottage c.1670; additions c.1755, 1765, 1800
The oldest structure in Historic Richmond Town, it originally stood on the colonial period "Governor's Lot" in New Dorp Beach. The central section of this building may have served as Staten Island's first government building during the 1600s. The residence of Britton family, 1695-1714, and again from 1860-1915, botanist Nathaniel Britton resided in the house from 1895-1915. Relocated from New Dorp.
(11) Dunn's Mill & Mill Pond Reconstruction
This mill was built near the site of a gristmill run by John Dunn from 1800 to the 1820s. During the 1700s and 1800s var- ious types of mills dotted the region. The Mill Pond, part of the Staten Island Blue Belt program, is landscaped with plants indigenous to Staten Island.
(12) Kruser-Finley House c.1790; additions c.1820, 1850
A simple rural craftsman's house, it was home to a series of craftsmen in the early 1800s, some of whom might have had workshops in the building. It is named for the two families with the longest periods of residence. Relocated from Egbertville.
(13) Basket Maker's House c.1810
Built in a salt marsh area, the house probably served as home to watermen who often combined fishing with subsistence farming and winter hand trade work. Relocated from New Springville.
(14) Guyon-Lake-Tysen House c.1740; kitchen addition 1820s
This substantial farmhouse with Dutch and Flemish influences was built by Joseph Guyon on his farm in New Dorp. It retains most of its original interior woodwork, including both Georgian and Federal styles of paneling. Records suggest that the Lake family may have owned several slaves, who may have been housed in the rooms above the kitchen. Relocated from New Dorp.
(15) Crocheron House c.1819
Jacob Crocheron, a Staten Island native and Manhattan merchant, built this house to serve as his retirement residence. Details of its exterior and interior structure show the influence of the Federal-period architecture of the lower Hudson Valley. Relocated from Greenridge.
(16) Bennett House c.1839; addition c.1854
Built as part of a real estate development near the Third County Courthouse, this Greek Revival-style residence was home to shipping merchant John Bennett and his family from c.1848-1917. The building later served as a restaurant. (A seasonal snack bar located in the cellar bakery is accessible from Richmond Road.)
(17) Carpenter Shop Reconstruction
This building represents a rural carpenter's shop of c.1830-1860. It is constructed of material salvaged from an 1835 farmhouse.
(18) Eltingville Store/Print Shop c.1860
This one-room building served as grocery store in the early 1900s, and was later used as a residence. It is furnished to represent a small job printing shop c.1825-1860. Relocated from Eltingville.
(19) General Store c.1840, with later additions
Stephen D. Stephens built this store to serve neighborhood residents as well as visitors on court days. Joseph Black became the owner in 1870, and from about 1880 until 1918 his three daughters owned and operated the store. The structure was partially demolished in 1944, and reconstructed in 1964 based on physical evidence and historic photographs.
(20) Stephens-Black House c.1838; addition between 1839 and 1853
Built in a modified Greek Revival style, this house was part of a planned residential development near the Third County Courthouse. The east addition may have been intended to house a boarding school for young ladies. Stephen D. Stephens and his family were the original residents; Joseph Black and his family resided here from 1870 to 1926.
(21) Outhouse c.1860
This simple privy stands on the foundation of the original Stephens House privy. Relocated from Richmond Valley.
(22) Colon Store/Tinsmith Shop c.1841 and 1850
This building was operated as a grocery store by Mary Ann Winant and James Colon from c.1850 to 1896, and by William and Catherine Goetschius from 1897 to 1912. It is furnished to represent a c.1860 tinsmith shop. Relocated from Woodrow.
(23) Historical Museum 1848, additions 1885 and 1911
Built to serve as the Richmond County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office, it was active until 1920, when the Clerk's Office was moved to St. George. It was converted to a museum in 1934, and houses exhibits of the history of Staten Island and the region.
(24) Henry Seaman Cottage, c. 1836
Entrepreneur Henry Seaman built this and similar homes in the area of Richmondtown. The Panic of 1837 brought an end to his development activities after only a few homes were completed. One of two remaining examples of his work, it was a private residence until 2004. Relocated from Richmond.
ADDITIONAL SITES OF INTEREST (See map for their location)
(A) Rezeau-Van Pelt Family Cemetery
The private burial ground of two early families who occupied the Voorlezer's House, the graves date from the 1780s to the 1860s.
(B) Site of Court House Hotel c.1858
Joseph Lytle built an eleven-guest room hotel to take advantage of
the proximity to the Courthouse. With relocation of court activity to St. George in1919, and prohibition, business declined and the Hotel shut its doors c.1932. The building was torn down c.1942.
(C) Barn Foundation
The stone foundation was constructed to represent an English-style barn from the early 1800s.
(D) Parsonage 1855
Built in the Gothic Revival style, this building served as a residence for the minister of the Dutch Reformed Church of Richmondtown. It became a private home in 1875 and was sold upon the dissolution of the Richmond Congregation in 1885.
It houses the Parsonage Restaurant.
(E) Site of Reformed Dutch Church c.1769 and 1808
The first church on this site was destroyed by British troops during the Revolution. A second church was built in 1808 and served the local congregation until 1885. The building was later moved a short distance away, and finally demolished in 1903.
(F) Site of First County Jail c.1710
The first building constructed in Richmond Town for official government purposes, it was "Twelve foot in breadth and Fourteen foot long." The two story stone prison was used as a county building until 1741 when a new jail was completed.
(G) Site of Second County Courthouse 1793-94
A two-story wood-framed building was erected to replace the earlier courthouse, destroyed during the Revolution. It served as a government building until 1838, and then as a private residence, hotel, restaurant, and tavern until 1942. It was destroyed by fire in 1944.
(H) Site of Town Pond, Richmond County Hall c. 1826,
and St. Andrew's Church Parish Hall 1891
The bed of a small pond on this site was filled prior to the construction
of the Richmond County Hall, a two-story building used as a political meeting center and hotel. It was demolished in 1890 to build the Parish Hall, which was razed in 1929.
(I) Site of Government Buildings,1700s -1800s
Prior to the 1837 construction of the Third County Courthouse, this corner was the site of Richmond County's principal government buildings: the First County Court-house (c. 1741), the Second County Jail (c. 1751), the Jailer's House (c. 1751), and the First County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office (1828). The British destroyed the First Court-house in 1776; the remaining buildings were destroyed by fire in 1895.
(J) Schwiebert House c.1910
John F. Schwiebert, owner of the adjacent carriage factory, constructed this building as his residence and office. It houses museum offices.
(K) Site of Carriage and Wagon Manufactory 1858-1945
This partial reconstruction represents the three-story brick structure built in 1858 to house carriage and wagon works. The business was operated by Isaac Marsh to 1897, then through the 1930s by John F. Schwiebert. The structure was demolished in 1945.
(L) Public School 28 1907
This elementary school served the village of Richmond until the late 1970s. It is a public building designed in a progressive Arts and Crafts style. It currently houses the Society's library and archives.
Two churches were important to early inhabitants of the village of Richmond:
(M) Church Property of St. Andrew c.1872
This Episcopalian congregation was founded in 1708.The original building, c. 1712, was heavily damaged by fire in 1867 and 1872. Churchyard contains graves of prominent Staten Islanders.
(N) St. Patrick's Church c.1860
This Roman Catholic congregation was founded in 1862. The early Romanesque Revival-style building is a New York City Landmark.
Other Structures (Not Open to the Public):
(O) Stephens-Prier House c.1857
Built for Daniel Lake Stephens, this residence later served as home for his cousin Stephen D. Stephens. The house was sold to James Prier in 1886. It houses administrative offices of the Staten Island Historical Society. Open by appointment.
(P) New Dorp Railroad Station c.1888
This Queen Anne-style building served as the depot for the village
of New Dorp from 1889-1965. It houses a museum restoration wood shop.
Relocated from New Dorp.
(Q) Annadale Store and Railroad Station c.1850 and 1860
Two separate structures, a trade shop or store and a train station, were joined together c.1911 to form a private residence. It houses restoration workspaces.
Relocated from Annadale.
(R) Maintenance Sheds
Designed to resemble late-1800s carriage houses, the buildings house the museum maintenance activities.