Breadcrumbs

carpenter1The Carpenter's Shop on the east side of Court Place is a reconstruction built primarily with historic building materials. The framing for the building is from the ca. 1830 kitchen wing of the Samuel Decker house. Since the wing did not have an end wall where it had originally joined the main house, new posts made of old timbers were added, and it was sided with shingles from the ca. 1790 Eith house on Richmond Avenue. A variety of other historic and new materials were used to complete the reconstruction; the historic materials were salvaged from old Staten Island buildings that had been demolished.

The idea for creating a carpenter's shop came into being in the 1960s. The original Samuel Decker house was vacant and in a state of disrepair at that time, so when the property owner offered the building to SIHS, it was dismantled and brought here with the intention of using it for parts. When examination of the building determined that the frame of the kitchen wing was in good condition, it was decided to use the materials to create a building to interpret the carpenter's trade. The frame was re-erected in 1966, and the rest of the work was completed by December 1967.

The carpenter's trade was an important one. In the 1850 federal census, 297 Staten Island men were listed as being in the woodworking trade; 165 of those were carpenters. Some of them may have worked in the window sash, door, and blind (shutter) making firms, of which there were at least 6 on the island. Quite a few probably worked as house builders. A good deal is known about the types of tools these carpenters used, since many of those tools have survived to this day, but there is little evidence for the number of shops on the island or their appearance. An item in the Richmond County Gazette in 1860 reveals that there was a carpenter's shop in Richmond, although the exact location is unknown.

Some of the tools that furnish the Carpenter's Shop belonged to Oscar Prall (1843- 1925), whose shop was located on Rockland Avenue in New Springville. Prall was a master carpenter, wheelwright, and wagon maker.

Main Village - Structures

  • Default
  • Random
  • The Third County Courthouse is located on Center Street at the head of Court Place. It was built in 1837 on this site, replacing earlier courthouse buildings that had been located on other sites nearby. Standing on one of the
    Read More
  • The Historical Museum is the former County Clerk's and Surrogate's office for Richmond County. It is a large brick structure in its original location on Center Street at the corner of Court Place. Its architecture features decorative bracketed eaves of
    Read More
  • The Edwards-Barton House remains on its original site on Richmond Road at the corner of Court Place, where it was constructed in 1869. The house was built for Webley J. Edwards (1816-1870) and his wife Deborah (Mercereau) Edwards (1823-1888). Before
    Read More
  • This privy (outhouse) now stands in the yard behind the Edwards-Barton House on Richmond Road. It originally stood on the property of the Jacob Crocheron House at its original location in Woodrow. At 12 feet wide, it is unusually large
    Read More
  • The Guyon Store is on its original site, on the south side of Richmond Road between Arthur Kill Road and Court Place. It was probably built ca. 1819 or 1820.  It is a simple two-story clapboard building with a one-story
    Read More
  • This structure is a coursed stone foundation for a barn. It was built by the staff at Historic Richmond Town in the area bounded by Center Street, Arthur Kill Road, and Richmond Road. It is appropriate for an early 19th-century
    Read More
  • The Town Pond was once located south of Richmond Road just east of Arthur Kill Road. Its existence is documented in the early 18th century, when Richmond was established as the county seat. The pond was likely drained and filled
    Read More
  • The establishment of a Richmond County jail was provided for by an Act of Assembly in 1704. This site was selected and construction was undertaken in 1710, with orders that the building be built of stone, two stories high, measuring
    Read More
  • In 1769, the Reformed Dutch Church built an edifice on what is now the corner of Center Street and Arthur Kill Road (not far from the Voorlezer's House which had been its meeting house in the previous century). This church
    Read More
  • The Parsonage is located on its original site on Arthur Kill Road at the corner of Clarke Avenue. It was built in 1855 as home for the pastor of the Dutch Reformed Church (now demolished) that once stood nearby. The
    Read More
  • The Annadale Railroad Station is now located north of Clarke Avenue and east of Arthur Kill Road. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1975 from a location on Annadale Road in Annadale. The building has an unusual history.
    Read More
  • This railroad station, which once served the neighborhood of New Dorp, now stands on the south side of Center Street near Tysen Court. Its original location was near Rose Avenue and 6th Street (now New Dorp Plaza). It was built
    Read More
  • This structure was constructed for location filming of the television series Boardwalk Empire. It represents a 1920s American diner in the fictional town of Tabor Heights, New Jersey. This set was utilized for episodes which originally aired during the show’s
    Read More
  • The Rezeau-Van Pelt Cemetery is located near the intersection of Tysen Court and Center Street, just west of the Third County Courthouse, on the original site where it was established in the 1780s (decades before the courthouse was built). It
    Read More
  • The lawn between P.S. 28 and the Third County Courthouse is now used for visitor picnicking and outdoor concerts at Historic Richmond Town. But in earlier years, a house stood here, at 284 Center Street. The house was erected in
    Read More
load more hold SHIFT key to load all load all