On the Town
Tour America's Historic Town
November - December
April – June
Experience the sights, sounds, and smells of New York City's past.
- Historic buildings, furnished interiors
- Self-guided format
- Museum teachers dressed for eras 1690's – 1890's
- Hands-on activities
- Available 10:00 a.m. - 12:45 p.m., Monday – Friday; on selected days afternoon tours are available for groups
- July – August on selected days self-guided tours are available for groups
Historical Museum Building # 23
- Explore the exhibit Bringing Up Baby to discover how families raised children before electricity.
- See what industry was like before conveyor belts; see what farming looked like before tractors.
Voorlezer’s House Building #2
- Compare a school from 1690 with schools of today.
Basket Maker’s House Building # 13
- Feel the weight of workbaskets made at a colonial farmhouse; see how they’re made.
- Stop by the pond to see turtles basking; check for migrating geese
Guyon-Lake-Tysen House Building # 14
- Follow the aroma of savory vegetables pan-roasting to a kitchen; inventory the pantry for cooking tools.
Grocery Store Building # 19
- See what shopping was like before shopping carts and cars.
- Take a photo of yourself “wearing” clothes from the 1800s.
Tinsmith’s Shop Building # 22
- Hear the tinsmith’s hammer shaping metal into useful household objects.