Raising the Roof!
On June 9th, 2013, members of the community came to celebrate one of the most storied homes in New York. With help from the community we have reached our target to raise $25,000 for the Billiou-Stillwell-Perine House Roof Restoration. This campaign helped us match the $25,000 grant from the Richmond County Savings Foundation. The $50,000 allows us to begin the first phase of restoring this landmark home that will begin in Spring 2014.
New and Improved Website
Those of you who have used the previous versions of this website, will find that this new 4th Generation site - affectionately dubbed "4gen4" by our diligent webmaster Andrew Schmitt - is a major improvement in style and substance.
With the wonderful assistance from the Northfield Bank Foundation we were able to work on a look and feel that is modern and clean yet still features all the traditional stuff we have in our vaults. Our flat design and graphic style was championed by Mike from Stayvers.com. Mike helped us define the layout, color scheme and loads of design details - right down to event and program logos.
SI Scenery Book & Film
With support from the Staten Island Foundation, Historic Richmond Town and the Staten Island Museum have teamed up to publish a book and produce a film that celebrates the beauty of Staten Island throughout the centuries.
Released in December 2013, Staten Island Scenery 1679-1900: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs by Barnett Shepherd, a rich, picturesque tabletop volume that features scenic vistas of the Island, the Manhattan skyline and the busy New York harbor.
Watch out! Big Improvements Coming!
We often receive calls, cards and emails from friends and other well-meaning folks who want to know why we haven't repaired this building, conserved that historic home or fixed up a certain part of our sites. Of course, the primary reason is money. It costs to keep American history alive. Even with all the popular events we produce and tightly monitored finances, it takes extra funds to run a museum that sits on over 100 acres on four sites with over 30 original historic structures dating back centuries.