Town Bridge #39
The stone arch Town Bridge passes over Richmond Creek, connecting Arthur Kill Road and Richmond Hill Road. The current structure, composed of dressed fieldstone, was erected in 1845 and is the only remaining 19th-century stone arch bridge on Staten Island. It connects two of the oldest roads on Staten Island. In fact, the roadway that became Richmond Hill Road was designated an official county road in 1701.
It is not known when the first bridge was actually built at this location, but the first mention of a bridge appears as early as 1718: "Ordered that the west and north divisions of the county do make a suffct [sufficient] bridge over the brook at Cuckold Town nigh the English Church forthwith." By the mid-18th century it was known as the "towne bridge." The first bridge was probably constructed of wood, and county records indicate that it was ordered to be rebuilt in 1827.
The present stone arch bridge, built in 1845, was paid for by the Reverend David Moore, Rector of St. Andrew's Church, and it appears that he was later reimbursed by the Town of Southfield. The SIHS photograph collection documents that at least 3 other stone arch bridges existed on Staten Island: one in Greenridge, one in Great Kills, and one in Bull's Head. All were replaced during the 20th century.
This bridge remains functional and is a significant transportation link as well as part of the Staten Island Bluebelt.