Third County Courthouse #1

Standing on one of the highest points in Richmond, this imposing Greek Revival building was designed to both reflect and inspire civic power and pride. The front (north) wall of the structure is built of rough-faced Staten Island trap rock; the other walls are brick.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Historical Museum (Former County Clerk’s and Surrogate’s Office) #2

The Historical Museum is the former County Clerk's and Surrogate's office for Richmond County. It is a large brick structure in its original location on Center Street at the corner of Court Place. Its architecture features decorative bracketed eaves of the Italianate style. It was at one time stuccoed and incised in imitation of brownstone blocks, a finish which was removed in the 1930s. 

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Barger Privy #4

At 12 feet wide, it is unusually large for such a utilitarian structure. The interior had six seats in two rows, reconstructed based on remnants of grooves found in the original walls. 

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Guyon Store (Tavern) #5

The Guyon Store is on its original site, on the south side of Richmond Road between Arthur Kill Road and Court Place. It was probably built ca. 1819 or 1820.  It is a simple two-story clapboard building with a one-story lean-to on the rear and a west wing which was added ca. 1835.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Barn Foundation #6

This structure is a coursed stone foundation for a barn. It was built by the staff at Historic Richmond Town in the area bounded by Center Street, Arthur Kill Road, and Richmond Road. It is appropriate for an early 19th-century English-style barn.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Site of Town Pond #7

The Town Pond was once located south of Richmond Road just east of Arthur Kill Road. Its existence is documented in the early 18th century, when Richmond was established as the county seat. The pond was likely drained and filled with soil around the 1820s, allowing construction of the Richmond County Hall which was completed ca. 1829.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Site of First County Jail #8

The establishment of a Richmond County jail was provided for by an Act of Assembly in 1704. This site was selected and construction was undertaken in 1710, with orders that the building be built of stone, two stories high, measuring 14 by 12 feet. Within a dozen years, County Sheriffs began to complain that the jail structure was insufficient, and a replacement was constructed by 1741. 

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Dutch Reformed Church #9

In 1769, the Reformed Dutch Church built an edifice on what is now the corner of Center Street and Arthur Kill Road (not far from the Voorlezer's House which had been its meeting house in the previous century). This church was initially formed with support from the Reformed Dutch Church in Port Richmond as well as an informal alliance with local Presbyterian congregants. The building was destroyed by the British in 1776, and in 1808 a new church was built on the site.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Parsonage #10

The Parsonage is an example of Carpenter Gothic style, a form of Gothic Revival architecture. The Parsonage has the characteristic exterior woodwork of the style (sometimes called gingerbread), as well as many original interior features. The building has two stories and a one-story porch on its front and two sides.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Annadale Railroad Station #11

The building has an unusual history. One section of the building was constructed ca. 1850 and was most likely used as a shop or store; no other information is currently known about the original ownership, use, or location of that earliest portion.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
New Dorp Railroad Station #12

The New Dorp Railroad Station was built by New York real estate developers Hughes and Ross in 1889 and operated by the Staten Island Rapid Transit Railroad Company. It is believed to have been designed by New York City architect Henry Knapp, based on style similarities to Knapp-designed residences in New Dorp.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Rezeau-Van Pelt Cemetery #14

The Rezeau-Van Pelt Cemetery is located near the intersection of Tysen Court and Center Street, just west of the Third County Courthouse, on the original site where it was established in the 1780s (decades before the courthouse was built). It is a small homestead graveyard, the type of family burial plot that was once commonly found on private property. It has ten small headstones and one larger monument with a molded arched pediment.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Public School 28 #16

Public School 28 was one of several new schools built in the years following the 1898 consolidation of Greater New York, when Staten Island became a borough of New York City. Prior to that time, the schools on Staten Island were under the jurisdiction of the Richmond County Superintendent of Schools and the State of New York, and they were known as "common schools."

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Saint Patrick's Church #17

St. Patrick’s Church is the home of a Roman Catholic parish founded in 1862. It was the fifth Catholic church established on Staten Island, built at a time when many new immigrants, especially increasing numbers of Irish and German Catholic people, were settling in areas in and around Richmond.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Stephens-Prier House #18

The Stephens-Prier House stands on its original site between Richmond Road and Center Street at the corner of St. Patrick's Place. It is a two and one-half story wood frame house built ca. 1857-1859. It is symmetrically designed, incorporating classical pediments on all four sides with identical facades on Center Street and Richmond Road. The architecture shows features of both Greek Revival and Italianate styles.

Read More
Sarah Hermann
Transportation Museum

Designed to resemble a late-1800s carriage house, this building was used as exhibition space and as a gift shop before 1980s renovations of the Visitors Center and Historical Museum. The structure now provides storage of large-scale materials.


Read More
Sarah Hermann